Because vegan never tasted this good…
This week I was lucky to stumble upon one of the most delicious looking Instagram accounts I have ever come across. It belongs to Alexandra Courts, one third of the girls that make up Vegan Girlfriend, a blog dedicated to plant-based, cruelty-free awesomeness.
They describe themselves as, “pretty…healthy….well-fed and allergic to everything.” They post vegan recipes so, “you can become cruelty-free and fabulous” just like them.
Are you planning your menu for your Memorial Day barbecue? Here’s some vegan inspiration from Alexandra:
Black Bean and Quinoa Burger with Purple Yam Fries
- 1 15oz can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water/vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup minced red pepper
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour/breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prepare quinoa. Bring water to a boil. Pour quinoa into boiling water, stir, then bring the boil down to a simmer (low heat). Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Pulse beans in blender (or mash with fork). Make sure some beans are still left whole for texture.
- Place cooked quinoa and black bean mixture in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the mushrooms, red pepper, garlic, gluten-free flour, cumin, and salt to mixture. Fold/mix all of the ingredients together until incorporated.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Form patties with hands and cook for 5 minutes on each side (or until the surface is lightly browned and the patties hold together)
- Put burger together, add your favourite toppings, and enjoy! I’m a fan of lemon tahini sauce, mustard, ketchup, spinach, and avocado!
Fries (salt free and oil free)
- 1-2 purple yams cut into fries
- 1 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper and place fries onto pan. Sprinkle fries with cumin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes
For Dessert: No-Bake Mocha Brownies
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 cup chopped raw walnuts, pecans, or nut of your choice
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp finely ground organic direct-trade coffee
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Pulse almonds in food processor until finely ground.
- Add raw cacao powder and ground coffee to mixture and continue to combine with food processor. Set mixture aside in separate bowl.
- Process dates separately, then add mixture back to food processor and pulse until a dough-like texture is reached. Stir additional nuts, coconut and vanilla extract into batter.
- Pour batter into a lined square cake pan. Spread evenly.
- Chill brownies in fridge for 2 hours or freezer for 1 hour. Serve cold. Makes about 12 brownies.
Happy Memorial Day!
About the Author
Alexandra Courts is one of the voices behind Vegan Girlfriend. She is a lover of the arts, cats, and food. She was raised in a small suburban town in Southern Ontario and became a vegetarian at the age of thirteen. Six years later, as her food intolerances and allergies worsened, she decided to adopt a fully vegan and gluten-free diet. Ever since then, she has been a healthier and happier ball of energy!
Alexandra comes from a small Portuguese/Welsh family who enjoy meat, seafood, fish, and poultry. You could imagine their confusion when she had announced her dietary transition. Nonetheless, she finds joy in cooking for herself and for her family. Alexandra wants to share with the world how delicious and nutritious vegan and gluten-free food can be!