Here’s another great recipe for your #MeatlessMonday.
Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas are a great source of nutrition in America and around the world. Known as one of the healthiest foods on the planet, many cultures eat garbanzo beans all year round. Nutritional benefits include antioxidants, fiber, regulation of blood-sugar, digestive health support, and more. The first garbanzo bean was thought to have been consumed more than 7,000 years ago.
Chickpea and Tomato Curry with Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice (dry)
- 4 whole tomatoes, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large (about 400 grams) can chickpeas
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- Ground black pepper
- While rice simmers, continue with following steps
- Heat garlic and onion with olive or vegetable oil in a deep frying pan for 5 minutes with salt
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and pepper
- As vegetables cook, add about 1 cup water
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until tomatoes soften
- Add chickpeas to warm for 2 minutes
- Serve with rice
- Garnish with parsley and red pepper chili flakes (optional)
About the Author
American born, but a citizen of the world, with a commitment to life experience, Allie Marie is a lover of language, travel, music, fashion, and cooking. Above all, she is an optimist. She has practiced yoga and studied eastern philosophy for over 12 years. Currently, she works as a writer for various projects. For more of her writing, visit her blog Olive Vintage.